Monday, April 4, 2011

Conversations are changing the way we think about education.

For the last several months, I have been thinking about how to become more engaged in the flourishing discussion about change in higher education that is occurring both in the United states and around the world. This conversation is changing the way we think about higher education and how it might be presented. I am struck by how quickly the conversation is changing on several fronts from the recent introduction of the “The Degree Qualifications Profile” by the Lumina Foundation (www.luminafoundation.org) to the seminal article, “Disrupting Higher Education” recently published by the Center for American Progress (www.americanprogress.org). Both documents present ways, means, and rationale for the major changes that are enveloping how we think about higher education and its quality in the 21st century.

As my next step in this process, beginning today, I am going to attempt to connect with and listen to more friends and colleagues using tweets, blogs, and Facebook. I would be delighted if you choose to “friend” me on Facebook, “follow” my blog peterpsmith.blogspot.com , and look for my tweets (@peterpsmith.

And, if you are engaged in similar activities and connect with me, I would be interested in following you as well.

Peter Smith
4/4/11

2 comments:

  1. Peter, Good to see you continue to fight the good battle. Education continues to be the best means, by which change can be made possible in an individual's life. I will be interested in following your blog and learning how motivation and planting seeds for the next generation of learners are enacted. Obviously I believe the best way to learn is by doing and competing. The "game is the thing" and all of us who continue to play are learning everyday.
    Aloha from Paradise, let me know when you need a BIG ISLAND, representative. Bill T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Political platforms and school mission statements proclaim the need to prepare students for the rapidly changing global workplace, and at the same time education policies impose some back-ward looking measures that are based on outdates beliefs about teaching and learning and on nostalgic notions about how schools should function.

    diploma of community services work

    ReplyDelete